Linda S. Koffman
Linda S. Koffman is an experienced real estate attorney responsible for providing legal services for structuring, documenting, and closing a variety of complex transactions, including the acquisition and disposition of commercial, industrial, hospitality, and retail properties; construction, permanent, and mezzanine financing; and leasing transactions and the workout of troubled real estate transactions. She has significant experience in the representation of communications companies in the buildout of infrastructure for cellular and satellite communication, as well as site licensing, leasing and co-location agreements. Her representation has included entrepreneurs, public and private pension funds, insurance companies, and corporations.
Ms. Koffman represents private opportunity funds, pension funds, pension fund advisors, real estate owners, insurance companies, developers, institutional investors, lenders, contractors, and asset management companies in the acquisition, disposition, construction, operation, leasing, and joint venture of office buildings, industrial parks, multi-family residential projects, hotels, and retail shopping centers.
Ms. Koffman was named one of the Top 30 Real Estate Attorneys in California by The Daily Journal in 2012, one of the Top 2012 Women Leaders in Law by The Recorder, and a California Super Lawyer named by Los Angeles magazine in 2007-2010 and 2014-present.
Ms. Koffman has closed transactions in the states of California, Connecticut, Maryland, Oregon, Nevada, North Carolina, Florida, Utah, Indiana, Tennessee, Washington, and Arizona. She has taught an undergraduate honors seminar in real estate at UCLA, and she regularly moderates panels at conferences on foreign and domestic real estate issues.
J.D., University of California, Hastings School of Law, 1988.
A.B., University of California, Berkeley, 1985.
Bar & Professional Memberships
The State Bar of California.
Los Angeles County Bar Association.
Executive Committee of the Real Property Section,
May 1999 - November 2002 and June 2009 - June 2013.
Managing Editor, California Real Property Journal,
May 1999 - May 2003 (official publication of the Real Property Section).
Fellow, American College of Mortgage Attorneys, August 2013-present.
The attorneys of Gipson Hoffman & Pancione have engaged in a wide range of critical legal matters in service to their clients. The following are representative of the work and accomplishments of attorney Linda S. Koffman:
- Represented lessor in a lease/purchase option transaction of over 120,000 square feet of industrial space on 5.8 acres in the South Bay area of California.
- Represented the managers of the historic Culver Studios in Culver City, California, to acquire 50 acres of property in Albuquerque, New Mexico, to develop a 500,000 square foot independent motion picture and television studio. The transaction included the formation of a joint venture with mezzanine and construction financing.
- Represented a national investment advisor (as representative for a state pension plan), as landlord, in a 47,500 square foot office lease transaction in downtown San Francisco. The lease transaction included the drafting and negotiation of the lease document, work letter, storage space lease, and balcony lease, and included right of first refusal, right of first offer, and rights of first availability on various other floors in the building.
- Represented a national telecommunications company, as tenant, in the negotiation of master lease/license agreements for communications activities with the following landlords: The RREEF Funds, Lattice Communications, Midwest Tower Partners, CNS Microwave, Inc., Potomac Electric Power Company, Pacific Gas & Electric Company, and TA Associates.
- Represented a national insurance company in sale of 36 office/warehouse buildings in South Salt Lake City, Utah. The representation provided included the negotiation of the sale agreement and ancillary documents thereto and closing of the transaction.
- Represented a national investment advisor in acquisition of real property in the City of Los Angeles and negotiation of build-to-suit provisions therein for development of a luxury multi-family apartment complex by the seller/developer.
- Represented a national investment advisor in securing an option to purchase real property in the City of Los Angeles, including build-to-suit provisions therein for the development of a luxury apartment complex by the seller/developer.
- Represented a large California county employee retirement association and affiliates in the acquisition of all of the general partnership interest and limited partnership interest in a Florida general partnership that owned 40 acres of real property located in Clearwater, Florida, developed as an apartment project. The representation provided included: (a) analysis of issues concerning ownership of property by a pension fund, (b) the drafting and negotiation of documentation to acquire the partnership interests, (c) due diligence on the partnership and constituent entities, (d) due diligence on the underlying real property, and (e) closing of the transaction.
- Represented a large California county employee retirement association and affiliates in the acquisition of all of the membership interests of a Maryland limited liability company that owned real property in Maryland developed as an apartment project. The representation provided included: (a) analysis of issues concerning ownership of property by a pension fund, (b) the drafting and negotiation of documentation to acquire the membership interests in the limited liability company, (c) due diligence on the limited liability company and constituent entities, (d) due diligence on the underlying real property, and (e) closing of the transaction.
- Represented a major insurance company in the acquisition of four parcels of industrial-zoned property in Ontario, California. The representation provided included: (a) the drafting and negotiation of the purchase and sale agreement, construction loan financing documents, development management agreement, completion and payment guaranty, and related construction documentation; (b) title, survey, and zoning due diligence; and (c) closing of the transaction.
- Represented a major insurance company, as lender, in a $96,000,000 financing for the rehabilitation of a retail shopping center in Ventura County, California. The representation provided included: (a) the drafting and negotiation of the loan documents, (b) title, survey, zoning, and lease due diligence; and (c) closing of the transaction.
- Represented a Texas real estate development company, as borrower, in a construction loan transaction with a major California bank concerning the development of industrial/warehouse space in Orange County, California. The representation included review and comment on loan documents prepared by the lender, and closing of the transaction.
The attorneys of Gipson Hoffman & Pancione have strong academic backgrounds and frequently serve the community through publications and public speaking. The following are representative of the contributions by attorney Linda S. Koffman:
- “Investing in California Real Estate,” in A Guide to Investing in California in the Pacific Century (Hong Kong: Asia Law & Practice Publishing, 1997) (co-authored with Richard C. Mendelson).
- Moderator, Call with the Experts – “Prop 64 Passed-Now What?”, Los Angeles, CA, November, 2016.
- Moderator for three panels, Investing California Real Estate Conference, Bel Air, CA, October, 2016.
- Moderator for four panels, U.S. Forum for Direct Foreign Investors, San Gabriel, CA, June, 2016.
- Panelist for 2009 ICSC Shopping Center Law Conference on “The Transformation of the Traditional Shopping Center: Setting the Stage for the Next Generation of Retail Community,” Phoenix, AZ.
- Panel Moderator, “Assessing Local Market Strengths & Weaknesses: What Are Your Tea Leaves,” IMN’s 2008 US Real Estate Opportunity & Private Fund Investing Forum, New York, May 2008.
- Panel Moderator, “Value-Added Plays: Repositioning, Redeveloping and Turnaround Strategies,” IMN’s 2007 US Real Estate Opportunity & Private Fund Investing Forum, New York, May 2007.
The attorneys of Gipson Hoffman & Pancione serve the larger community in many ways. Attorney Linda S. Koffman’s contributions include:
- Visiting Instructor, UCLA Letters of College and Science, “Legal Aspects of Buying and Selling Commercial Real Estate in the United States,” January 2010 – present.
- Jewish Partisan Educational Foundation, a nonprofit organization set up to help educate people on the role of the Jewish partisan during World War II. Board of Directors, April 2002 – present.
- Glendale Memorial Health Foundation, founded to provide funding that will enhance patient services at Dignity Health Glendale Memorial Hospital. GMH is in the top 3 for California Cardiac Care, and has been ranked in America's 50 Best Hospitals. Board of Directors, March 1999 - October 2004.
- Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW-LA). Founded in 1989, CREW Network is a global business networking organization dedicated to advancing the achievements of women in commercial real estate. Board of Directors, January 1999 - January 2000.