Corey J. Spivey
Corey J. Spivey is an attorney in the Litigation practice area at Gipson Hoffman & Pancione with more than twenty years of experience counseling and litigating matters on behalf of clients. Corey’s practice is best described as acting as outside general counsel to businesses and individuals whom he advises and acts for on litigation and related matters. He has broad experience in all aspects of general business litigation, copyright, trademark, privacy, Internet, media, First Amendment, and employment legal issues. Additionally, Corey regularly counsels and represents clients in commercial and residential real estate matters, including litigation of easement disputes, commercial and residential lease disputes, construction defects, water intrusion and related issues, retaining wall and boundary disputes, agents’ commissions, homeowner association and CC&R disputes, and insurance coverage issues.
Corey’s clients include domestic and international television production studios, motion picture production companies, major entertainment finance lenders, national broadcast networks and local television stations, a large Southern California private university, major real estate developers, and individuals.
Following the firm’s philosophy on litigation and dispute resolution, Corey’s specific approach is to avoid and defuse disputes where possible by providing clients with wise and strategic counsel aimed at preventing escalation at the beginning of the matter. He strives to achieve efficient results on behalf of his clients, leading to early settlement of disputes whenever possible. When disputes cannot be resolved in the early stages, he aggressively and vigorously litigates those matters (through court proceedings, arbitrations, and mediations) to achieve the best results for his clients. Throughout the process, Corey is always mindful to provide his clients with direct answers to their direct questions. He believes that the attorney-client relationship is most successful when attorney and client have clear understandings of expectations and direct communication on risks and likelihood of specific outcomes.
Corey also works closely with colleagues in the other practice areas within the firm, including Business Transactions, Entertainment & Finance, Intellectual Property, and Real Estate, enabling him to manage matters and strategically advise in these other areas.
Corey was born in Houston, Texas, and he received his undergraduate degree from Rice University, where he graduated as the top-ranking Economics major in his class. He subsequently received his law degree from Yale Law School, before deciding to make his career in Los Angeles. Outside of the practice of law, Corey enjoys snowboarding, adventurous dining, and travel.
J.D., Yale Law School
Moot Court Board.
Barristers Union Semi-finalist.
Editor, Yale Law and Policy Review.
B.A., Rice University
Magna Cum Laude.
Phi Beta Kappa.
Bar & Professional Memberships
The State Bar of California.
The attorneys of Gipson Hoffman & Pancione have engaged in a wide range of critical legal matters in service to their clients. The following are representative of the work and accomplishments of attorney Corey J. Spivey:
- Successful representation of a television network on breach of contract and employment matters.
- Successful representation of motion picture production companies in disputes with the various entertainment guilds, including the Screen Actors Guild, the Director’s Guild of America, and the Writers Guild of America.
- Successful representation of major entertainment finance lenders in international and domestic distribution disputes.
- Regular representation of national broadcast networks and local television stations concerning partnership, copyright, trademark, First Amendment, privacy, intrusion, and idea submission issues.
- Successful defense of a major radio broadcaster against copyright infringement claims.
- Providing pre-broadcast, pre-production, and production counseling to television networks and motion picture companies for entertainment programming.
- Successful prosecution of California Public Records Act claims on behalf of media outlets to compel disclosure of criminal and other records.
- Successful prosecution of trademark infringement claim on behalf of a personal care products maker against a multinational perfume company and a high-profile celebrity.
- Prosecution and defense of defamation claims on behalf of celebrities.
- Successful representation of executives in employment and contractual disputes.
- Representation of officers and directors in closely-held company disputes.
- Successful defense of patent infringement action against a seller of products through infomercials and the Internet.
- Successful representation of Internet companies and individuals on copyright infringement claims relating to file sharing and on contractual issues relating to advertising and traffic agreements.
- Successful defense and prosecution of real estate claims, including disputes involving easements, leases, construction defects, water intrusion, retaining walls, and agents’ commissions.
- Successful defense of and counseling to employers on harassment and discrimination claims, including providing anti-harassment and anti-discrimination training and conducting investigations on behalf of employers into alleged incidents of harassment and discrimination.
- Representation of universities and other employers on unfair practices claims and other union disputes.
- Conducting fraud investigations in coordination with independent audit firms.